Engagement Session Guide
One of the first steps we take couples through is the Engagement Session. Engagement Sessions play a big part in the initial stage of the 88 Love Stories Experience. It’s a perfect and very casual way for us to photograph you before the wedding day. We get to know each other better, and it gives you your first experience being photographed. It’s okay to feel awkward about being in front of the camera! Couples love that we give so much direction during the Engagement Session and often express how much better they feel knowing we’ve directed them in a fun and comfortable way!
We include Engagement Sessions in our wedding collections because we believe it’s an exciting and vital part of the entire photography process. It helps us arrive on the wedding day already knowing how you two interact, what your best poses are and how to photograph you in the most genuine way.
Where Should We Go for Our E-Session?
We love it when couples pick a location that’s special to them! Some couples will even pick two locations (sometimes one just isn’t enough!). So, what places draw you as a couple? Are there hobbies you like to do as a couple that could be incorporated (i.e. painting, cooking, hiking, etc.)? Based on your response we can help you find the right location.
What Should We Wear?
This is an important question that’s frequently asked. We say: Don’t try to match. Instead, pick outfits and accessories that coordinate. What’s your personal style? It’s okay to get glammed up and dressy, or if you’re the casual type you may want to dress down. Most patterns are okay except when they look TOO busy. Stick with something that’s not distracting. We can also help you select your best outfits that look most photo-ready.
Can We Bring Props, or Even Our Pet?
Absolutely! Whether its pets, banners, letters or numbers that match your wedding date, props are a great way to bring some extra personality into your E-Session. When bringing a pet make sure to bring a friend who can be in charge of their care.
When Should We Schedule Our E-Session?
Always schedule your E-Session with your photographer at least 2 months from the date you wish to book. Finding the right day can be based on several factors, so here’s the skinny. We require having your E-Session on a weekday due to our busy wedding weekend schedule (though we will be flexible where we are able!). If you plan to use the photos for save-the-dates schedule at least 6-8 months from your wedding date. We can also shoot sunrise sessions. We require sunrise sessions for busy locations such as the Cherry Blossom Festival in D.C.
Approximate Start Times
Winter | Nov to Mar 3:00 - 5:00pm
Summer | Jun to Aug 6:00 - 8:30pm
Spring | April 5:30 - 7:30pm | May 6:00 - 8:00pm
Fall | Sept 5:30 - 7:30pm | Oct - Early Nov 5:00 - 7:00pm
How Soon Do We Receive the Photos?
Turnaround is one week from the date of your session.
Picking the right outfits for your engagement session is a question we get asked by every couple, so we thought it would be helpful to give you a few more tips!
1. Most couples have two outfits for their session. One is normally dressier and the other more relaxed and casual. Ladies can wear dresses that are short or long and flowy! Guys can wear business casual or, on the relaxed side, a v-neck shirt and jeans.
2. Coordinate, but don’t “match”. The same color can be worn but it’s wise to have a different shade of that color so you don’t blend into one another when hugging each other close.
3. You can wear patterns, but make sure the patterns are large and non-distracting. Plaid, for instance, can be worn but is best to have large plaid patterns rather than small.
4. Go Colorful! We love color palettes that resemble seasonal colors.
5. Black! Given the right setting black can be an awesome choice for the mountains or urban environments. Balance the black color with something neutral, denim blue or white.
6. Make sure any formal attire is equally balanced. A flowy black dress should not be complemented by shorts and flip flops, right?!
7. Accessorize! Bring your jewelry, scarves, bags, belts, etc!
8. More than anything else be yourself. If you’re the dressy type glam it up! On the other hand, if you love feeling relaxed in your attire go with it! Show off your unique style!